That was the year I learned how to move through valley of the shadow of death.
This was also the year I came to know Heavenly Father honestly, truly exists. When in the face of absolute devastation I learned to put my trust in God. I began to listen to the thoughts in my mind that said,
"Hold on. Don't give up."
I allowed him nights of crying. I listened as he told me he felt hopeless. I stopped controlling everything and just let it be. I started to train my mind to believe that true romanticism was a man and a woman dedicated to work. The battle of it all was one of self-worth, we had to fight to know who we were, and what we were capable of.
I came to realize this: we think we go from partner to partner because there will be someone "better" for us. In reality, no one is better for us, we just get better for ourselves.
And this: relationships work when we sacrifice negative beliefs about ourselves, and in that process we become the best thing that's ever happened to anyone.
And this: a successful marriage is about two people engaged and dedicated to overcoming selfishness--for the rest of their lives.
This was also the year I came to know Heavenly Father honestly, truly exists. When in the face of absolute devastation I learned to put my trust in God. I began to listen to the thoughts in my mind that said,
"Hold on. Don't give up."
I allowed him nights of crying. I listened as he told me he felt hopeless. I stopped controlling everything and just let it be. I started to train my mind to believe that true romanticism was a man and a woman dedicated to work. The battle of it all was one of self-worth, we had to fight to know who we were, and what we were capable of.
I came to realize this: we think we go from partner to partner because there will be someone "better" for us. In reality, no one is better for us, we just get better for ourselves.
And this: relationships work when we sacrifice negative beliefs about ourselves, and in that process we become the best thing that's ever happened to anyone.
And this: a successful marriage is about two people engaged and dedicated to overcoming selfishness--for the rest of their lives.
2 comments:
I love this, Jenny. And by this I mean you--I just can't say that.
Dear Jenny, I needed this today. I loved it. And I love you. Love, Whitney
Post a Comment